6.10.2011

Wondering what Annecy is like?

I seem to always forget my camera.
and it always seems that i see the most beautiful pictures 
EVERYWHERE
i'll post some soon!

I love it here in Annecy, France.
 but I don't like that EVERYONE smokes. 
I'm allergic to cigarette smoke.
just my luck.
Its really funny because They are so ahead on so many things, 
like fashion.
but so behind on sooo many too. 
Like rollerblading. 
for example
 it would probably be safe to say that 
1/3 of the people rollerblade around here.  
It makes me laugh
oh and allllll men wear tiny running shorts.
like girls do. 
{you know the kind thats black and a little looser}

I like that everything is so beautiful here
their houses and their buildings
Plus they live right by a lake
{no sand unfortunately}
but huge grassy areas
and everyone loves to get together
so its always social.
{or would be if i spoke more French}

I swear every night we have been here,
there has been some sort of fete (party) of some sort
There is a drink here called .Orangina.
and I cant help but think that it is some kind of nasty disease.
but it actually taste tres bien. 
Sometimes I think I must have some kind of an accent 
because even French people who speak Anglais 
{They say American, because technically English is from England}
don't understand me when I speak. 
It is hard to not pronounce the end letters in all French words.. 
Like for example. 
Parler is said like parl. 
and they will blend words together so 
it sounds like a completely different word
like vous etes
you drag the s over and make it a z sound. (liason)
so its said like {voo zet} and you dont pronounce the s at the end
vous etes means "you are" (to someone you dont know)

We had our first test today. 
I was so nervous. 
because our teacher teaches French, in French.
So if we ask questions,
she usually doesnt even understand what we are saying
and she will babble on in French about it for 10 minutes.
without us knowing an ounce of what she said.
I feel like i did pretty well though
We will see!

All of us USU students live with host families. 
we all say "My lady does this...." 
and when someone calls "their lady"
 by name we all kind of get confused. 

I like to pretend that I enjoy the beautiful song of the birds outside my window 
but at 4 am it's not so pretty. 
And i always wake up to a sore back,
because it feels like we are sleeping on cement
{i cant wait for our bed back home}

I have discovered things here that 
when I come back I may not be able to give up: 
These being:
Crepes {mainly}, nutella, yogurt for dessert,
using a knife to assist in eating not just cutting,
biking places and being outside, etc. 

I wish it would stop raining so I could enjoy the Film Festival, 
even though it is all in Francais. 
To me a French speaking cartoon is enough entertainment in itself. 
I am experiencing things like: 
warm milk, 
deer in head lights look "i do not understand a word you just said", 
crazy Brazilian woman in my class ....
who interrupts the teacher to ask where to get a thai massage, 
.... just accents in general that cause you to be
 confused even when you are speaking the same language, 

a blue color that literally takes your breath away 
and makes you want to run naked into the lake with all you have,
 air dried hair everyday and a broken straightener, 
no clothes dryer or disposal, 
too much smoking, 
a lot of dogs... only little ones, 
and French church 
{the church is the same no matter where you are} 

France has made me laugh, cry, exhausted, confused, 
happy, excited, cold, hot, blissful, appreciative.
I feel like as the days go on I love it more and more. 
I know I will feel the same even after I am home.
 I love this experience. I love this city, 
this country. I hope I learn the language....

Bonne Journee all.
Je t'aime mon amies

Next up- Switzerland this weekend! 

♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment